On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Xabier Oneca  --  xOneca
<xon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm with Sven-Göran, Harald, Cristian, et al.
>
> I see the point of Harald that if the config file is implemented, then
> someone will want it to be reloaded whitout quitting the daemon, and
> what not! That's a lot of (byte)code!
>
> Maybe Busybox could be shipped with an example init script for ntpd,
> and other daemons that usually need it. (Laszlo, did you suggest this
> in one of your last mails, where you posted a script + config file?)

Yet, it did not get any feedback from anyone yet. Hopefully, it is not
getting lost in the noise.

> Usually scripts in /etc/init.d use /etc/default/* as config values
> (some distros, even using them as main config files). The scripts that
> Laszlo posted fit that pattern.

Not quite; actually "/etc/default" is more like a Debian, et al,
pattern. OpenWrt will use something. Yocto uses something else, etc.
And for what it is worth, buildroot is also strange with
"/etc/default/ntpd" without any busybox indication.

> I work with buildroot and never had a problem with ntpd and its lack
> of config file. Anyways, in spite of no seeing benefit, I don't refuse
> to implement it if it can be selected from KConfig...

Absolutely; you do not need a few lines to spare init script files,
you could disable it, but then again, some people have very strong
opinion about things, so it is better to move on IMHO.