On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Harald Becker <ra...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Denys !
>
>>If you want to add optional support for parsing /etc/ntp.conf
>>compatible with "standard" ntpd (perhaps only "server"
>>and "peer" directives), it is acceptable.
>
> If optional compiled in, ok ... but this shouldn't be compiled in
> on default binaries. It's just pure bloat without any other
> benefit for other users of Busybox. All can be done with some
> filtering on scripts (examples already given in thread).

I don't know... I still feel compat is important.
It means growth of user base.

Most of features are "bloat". CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_DELETE
is bloat - you can easily code it with -exec instead, right?

But it defaults to "yes", because most people want
more compatible behavior. They don't enjoy finding out
why "make clean" in project foo doesn't work with busybox find.

The things which default to "n" usually are:
- speed optimizations,
- support of very old kernels
- support for unusual features (e.g. fdisk for AIX)
- rare internationalization quirks (wide chars, bidi input)
- support for paranoid levels of compat (grep of NUL byte)
- unusual build options (static, PIE, NOMMU)

Ordinary compat features are not in this list.