> Yes, this must not result in such significant growth.

The problem is: such hashtable would have to be statically generated.
Otherwise it would be built up from scratch on every start-up making
the entire change pointless.

The general consensus is that the size increase is not worth the
negligible start-up speed improvement and I agree.

On the other hand Busybox seems to have multiple independent hashtable
implementations (awk, dpkg, inode_hash) and pulling these into libbb
could decrease the size significantly. I'll see what I can do when
I'll have some time.

Best regards,
Bartosz Gołaszewski