On 2014-07-02 09:44, Laurent Bercot wrote:
On 07/02/2014 02:36 PM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
How about using svlogd?

  That would be a better idea indeed.
  The complete case against syslog can be read here:
  http://skarnet.org/software/s6/s6-log.html#diesyslogdiedie

I'd agree with some of those points; but some of them are in direct
contradiction to my needs as a developer and integrator (and even
the points with which I would agree aren't actually relevant here).

And even if syslogd has some warts, it has the major benefit of being
what's used by huge swaths of open-source software that I can mostly
just use as-is if my logging system is syslog-compatible.

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."