On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 04:41 AM, Harald Becker said:

> export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> echo -n "$*" | wc -m

Yes! That works with both glibc and uclibc in the chroot and in
the initrd.  Thank you!

I didn't know about the -m option to wc.  I had ASSumed -c was
for counting "c"haracters.  My bad.

IMO there is still something very strange with sed and unicode
but with "wc -m" I consider my problem solved.  Someday someone
might bump up against the strange behavior of sed but it is not
me and it is not today.  The strange thing isn't so much that
it is broken but that it sometimes works.  I can send you my
glibc version of busybox where the sed always works from my
command line and sometimes works in the initrd.

Thank you!  I really appreciate your help and your patience.

I feel like a kid in a candy store with this mailing list
although I am starting to get a tummy ache.  I've had a blast and
I've learned a lot but I hope I can tear myself away in order to
deal with some other pressing things that are on my plate.

Thank you again.

Peace, James