On 13.03.2015 15:46, Michael Conrad wrote:
I thought pseudocode would be clearer than English text, but I suppose
my pseudocode is still really just English...  Maybe some comments will
help.

You can't fix the suffering of your code with some comments ... beside that, it looks like you dropped an "#ifdef".

The new code would not be run like a hotplug helper, it would be run as
a daemon, probably from a supervisor.  But the old code is still there
and can still be run as a hotplug helper.

The new code behaves exactly as the old code. When used as a hotplug helper, it suffers from parsing conf for each event. My approach is a splitting of the old mdev into two active threads, which avoid those problems even for those who like to stay at kernel hotplug.

... and those who like to use netlink, can chose netlink and get netlink, using the same back end as the kernel hotplug.

So where I am wrong? What is the reason for your concern? Using a pipe as IPC? That fifo supervisor? What does my approach not do, you need (except completely staying at the old, suffering code)?

--
Harald