On 27/07/2015 17:03, walter harms wrote:
Interestingly it seems a bit complicated to have a system without syslogd.

 Without syslog, i.e. the client part.

 A quick grep in the source shows that at first sight, FEATURE_SYSLOG is
only used in two places, libbb/verror_msg.c and libbb/info_msg.c, to guard
calls to syslog() and vsyslog().
 Makes sense to me. If I haven't selected any app that can actually use
syslog, it's sane to not pull in the syslog() implementation code. It's a
cool optimization and there's not much room for simplification here.

 syslogd, the server part, is a whole other enchilada, but it can be disabled
via a simple option in the Kconfig, so no problem there either.

--
 Laurent