I ran into a similar issue with menuconfig not finding ncurses library as
well.  After talking with IT folks, we used HOSTCC='gcc -Wl, -llibtinfo' to
get it to work - initially - the menu was "horrible". . . .
After some debugging of other problems, I discovered that there were 2
different compilers available on our systems:
path1:  GCC 4.2.1 - which had the problems
path2:  GCC 4.4.7 - which solved this and other problems.
So it might be that the linux distro being used is not quite setup
correctly????  Or it's a very old compiler?
My situation is that the IT folks have tried to turn a Linux distro
(RHEL6.4) into a BSD Variant-looking-messed-up-sort-of-thing. . . .
NEVER had an issue running on FedoraCore22 in a VM on my MAC :)

Regards,
Stephen