Hey Martin, thanks again for your help!  So I had to bring back
'sneaker-net' to get strace on the machine via flash drive (after
locating one), but it is now on the machine!  I could not see anything
in the 'ps' output (and it is the GNU version) regarding what was
being called for contacting a DHCP server for the adapter.  I also
tried running the command that Peter suggested, but the command he
listed has invalid syntax.  After a few more calls and a ton of goop
from 'strace', it appears that 'udhcpc' was being called as follows
(at least on my dev machine):

udhcpc -R -n -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid -i eth0

(Just in case anyone else comes across this post)

Now that I know what is being called, can anyone help with the other
part of the original question?

Thanks,
Dave