On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Lauri Kasanen <cur...@operamail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016, at 05:44, Kang-Che Sung wrote:
>> I wonder why you can't implement an easy workaround using ls or
>> something.
>>
>>     filename="`ls *zip | head -n 1`"
>>     nc 10.0.0.1 12345 < "$filename"
>>     do_something_else < "$filename"
>>
>> Yeah. Just avoid the glob on the redirection and instead get the
>> filename before that. Any difficulty?
>
> Because typing that takes longer? You're missing the point of an
> usability feature.
>
> - Lauri

If you are arguing about usability, you should assume a case that you
are in an _interactive_ shell. Non-interactive environment is for shell
scripts, and for that portability and robustness will be more important
than what you called "usability".

And for that portability includes compatibility across platforms and
standards compliance (whenever possible). I think since POSIX has
standardized this behavior, and other shells follow, there is not much
point to argue with these further. At least not in BusyBox.