On 2017-02-22 08:43, David Henderson wrote:
Good morning all!  Yes I am not specifying the type as ext4
explicitly, so it is being probed.  The partitions mount and work
correctly, I just keep getting these error messages any time they are
mounted (e.g. bootup, attaching external drives, etc).  I'm not sure
what 'feature incompatibilities' it is referring to...  Any thoughts
on how to resolve the problem?
Feature incompatibilities refers to things added in ext4 and not present in ext3 or ext2. The filesystems are similar but not identical; there are a lot of features available and when you call mkfs.ext4 there are several ext4-only ones automatically enabled. The easiest way to resolve the "problem" (it's really just a notice, not an error) is to explicitly specify the type as ext4 instead of auto. Personally...I would just ignore the messages and move along since they don't really indicate a problem. If they're popping up on your console, consider changing your console logging level with e.g. 'dmesg -n 2' which is what I did so I only get severe errors directly on my console, not every little notice the kernel spits out like these.