On 1/26/2018 12:47 PM, Cathey, Jim wrote:
My understanding, from years past, is that "source <file>" (or ". <file>") is _exactly_ the
same as "<file>", except that it's running in _this_ shell rather than in a subshell.  Thus it is able to
affect environment variables that subsequent commands can inherit, etc.

If "." is not in your PATH, and you want to source a file that's right there, you have to
". ./<file>" just as you'd expect.  If that's not what bash is doing, then it's wrong.

I fought through the bash startup scripts almost 20 years ago in college, and still have "source .bashrc" in my ~/.bash_profile that I've been carrying from system to system ever since :-)  and my PATH has never had '.' in it.  Your explanation makes perfect sense though.

-Mike