On 3/2/22 02:45, Raffaello D. Di Napoli wrote:
On 3/1/22 16:57, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 5:39 PM Denys Vlasenko <vda.li...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Meanwhile: what "timeout" is doing is it tries to get out
of the way of the PROG to be launched so that timeout's parent
sees PROG (not timeout) as a child. E.g. it can send signals
to it, get waitpid notifications if PROG has been stopped
with a signal, and such.

And PROG also has no spurious "timeout" child.
"timeout" exists as an orphaned granchild.

That doesn’t seem to be a concern for coreutils, according to Rob’s inspection. (I haven’t looked, but I’ll assume they still do signal forwarding and everything that can be done cheaply.) Isn’t it a goal of BB to avoid unnecessary divergence from coreutils?

Let's go with a solution with fd opened to /proc/PID?

I’d think simplifying the implementation and bringing it closer to coreutils’ would be more in line with BB’s goals, instead of making it larger and more complicated (especially considering how counter-intuitive it is already, despite being fairly small).

It might be worth mentioning that busybox can't conform to coreutils unless it does remain the parent process, because of this detail: (from coreutils' timeout man page)

> If the command times out, and --preserve-status is not set, then
> exit with status 124.  Otherwise, exit with the status of COMMAND.

timeout doesn't appear to be part of POSIX, though.