On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 05:06:35PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> 10.05.2022 16:53, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> ..
> > Do you really want su there? Maybe setpriv will better suit your needs?
>
> Grrr, and setpriv in busybox does not support user/group settings at all... ;)

Ah, that's why I didn't notice setpriv.

> Why I asked: it is uncommon for su to accept numeric UIDs, - be it busybox
> or anything else.  Also, su interface is quite strange in the arguments
> handling.

You're right. I am a part of a community distro which uses busybox by
default, and we need something to be able to change privileges to an
arbitrary user, but it is not portable to expect a tool to print all of
a username longer than 8 characters. Using the UID is more reliable.
There is no standard for su, but my hope with this patch is for there
to be one more tool with which our problem can be solved; it's nice to
have more options.

Ben