Hello,

Ron Yorston, le dim. 16 oct. 2022 15:17:37 +0100, a ecrit:
> Maling list thread prior to commit e3b1a1fd2:
>
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2011-February/074954.html

Thanks for pointing it out, that helps understanding the background.

Ron Yorston, le dim. 16 oct. 2022 14:57:41 +0100, a ecrit:
> Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >Ron Yorston, le dim. 16 oct. 2022 08:36:21 +0100, a ecrit:
> >> PLATFORM_LINUX was removed a couple of years ago by commit 5c69ad0ec
> >> (build system: drop PLATFORM_LINUX).
> >>
> >> It had very little effect back then, now it has none.
> >
> >Ah, so how would it have to be done nowadays?
>
> I suppose it would mean going back to the situation prior to these
> commits:
>
>   4d06b3145  build system: no longer prompt for PLATFORM_LINUX option
>   e3b1a1fd2  Replace "depends on PLATFORM_LINUX" with "select PLATFORM_LINUX"
>
> where PLATFORM_LINUX was a user-selectable option and applets that were
> deemed Linux specific depended on it.

AIUI, we don't want that as it was, because allnoconfig shouldn't
prevent from seeing applets which are available on Linux only.

Now, can't we make PLATFORM_LINUX something that is automatically
enabled, so that it cannot be disabled with allnoconfig? Then we can
restore the dependency.

tito, le dim. 16 oct. 2022 16:33:17 +0200, a ecrit:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 15:44:23 +0200
> Samuel Thibault <samuel.thiba...@ens-lyon.org> wrote:
>
> > tito, le dim. 16 oct. 2022 09:26:27 +0200, a ecrit:

> > > just out of curiosity why can this not be fixed by simply
> > > creating a config file that disables the applets that are not relevant
> > > for your platform?
> >
> > Because it'd mean making *each and every* downstream (the various BSD
> > distributions, the couple Hurd distributions, BeOS, etc. etc.) have to
> > determine that list, while it could just be shared upstream, as all
> > software usually just do.
>
> they still need to got through the config file creation
> at least once to enable what is needed for their specific use
> so it seems not to make that big difference.

It makes the difference that they get a filtered-out list as a start.

> > > I think this would reduce the size of the patch to the
> > > #ifdef O_DIRECT part which could be moved for example
> > > to include/platform.h.
> >
> > Why moving it to platform.h? #ifdef O_DIRECT already means what it
> > means.
>
> Couldn't it be achieved by disabling ENABLE_FEATURE_DD_IBS_OBS in config
> avoiding an ifdef hell?

No, ibs, obs etc. options are available and useful in general, only the
direct flags are linux-specific.

Samuel