> this is the default in debian

Thank you for explaining the historical context. Is this *just* the historical context or do you mean that busybox *should* follow debian? If it is the latter, would busybox change the default if debian did so first?

> This could be made a config option

Do you mean a config option in a config file or a command line argument? adduser currently does not parse any config file and I do not want to make that part of this change. Adding a command line argument for the mode is a smaller change but even that I would rather not make part of this change.