|IIRC writing to /dev/urandom doesn't do what you want it to do.
|You have to use an ioctl() to actually set entropy.

And that is the sad point about it.
Kernel hackers should stand up to allow it again!

 As Ted Ts'o said[1], and Donenfeld agreed[2], the problem is that
any user can write to /dev/urandom, including malicious users, so
you cannot credit what they write.

 I tend to trust people who do the work rather than those who stand on
cardboard boxes.
 Still, since it's related to boot sequence things and I want to be a
reliable source on boot sequences, I actually studied the thing when
it came up, and understood the issue enough to come up with my own
conclusion - and my own conclusion is still that the person who did the
work, i.e. Jason, is right about this.

 I'm sorry. I like the idea of writing stuff to /dev/urandom and have
it count, too. It's just not a good idea for security. That's just the
way it is. And it would be nice if all the work and ink that already
went into it, including mine, could actually be useful to all the people
who don't care about any of this and just want their systems to work
and be secure - so it would be nice if disinformation and bad ideas
stopped being spread.

[1]: https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/yjqvemckzcu1p...@mit.edu/
[2]: https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/yjqbcqbyhcopg...@zx2c4.com/

--