On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 14:05:15 +0000
Matthew Chae <matthew.c...@axis.com> wrote:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
> I'm sending new patch and the result of bloatcheck.

Many thanks for the updated patch!

function                                             old     new   delta
display_process_list                                1406    1765    +359
.rodata                                            99721   99724      +3
(add/remove: 0/0 grow/shrink: 2/0 up/down: 362/0)             Total: 362 bytes
1009548   16507    1840 1027895   faf37 busybox_old
1009910   16507    1840 1028257   fb0a1 busybox_unstripped

I think that's too much. For me this gives +293 bytes, still way too much.
Can you please see if it helps to retain the manual formatting of
PID PPID USER?

PS:

procps/top.c: In function ‘display_process_list’:
procps/top.c:664:1: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code
[-Wdeclaration-after-statement]
  664 | typedef struct { unsigned quot, rem; } bb_div_t;
      | ^~~~~~~

so please move your new #define PID_STR block down to right before
/* what info of the processes is shown */

In
+       int lines = (lines_rem - 1);
please drop the superfluous braces.

It is most likely not smaller to use
pid_len = strlen(make_human_readable_str(pid_max,0,0))
than to introduce this private count_digits(), i fear?
Maybe we could amortize the addition of count_digits by
reusing it elsewhere, as a follow-up.

thanks