How ‘bout this:

Stronger signals do affect (or is it effect?) the ALC and “push” the noise
level down. Sometimes all it takes is that extra S-unit. The acoustic result is
a signal that seems much louder, since the brain deals with less noise. Try
fiddling with the RF gain control for a similar noise reduction.

You did not say if you were dealing with CW or Phone, although Willie C. is
holding a sign.

Jon - KF5T<F>J