A resistor won't do a dang thing to protect you from lightning. You need a lightning arrestor for that.

On 5/24/2016 1:31 PM, WILLIS COOKE via BVARC wrote:
The reason for using a 3 megohm at 5 watt resistor is so that it will not burn our with a proximal lightning strike, but it will not allow a buildup of static electricity until you get an arc. This is a reasonable loss at any RF frequency and will prevent a large voltage from accumulating. If you wish to add a choke, put it in series with a 1 meg or larger resistor, nominally about 3 megohm with a large wattage to prevent burning out if the current gets too large during a storm. The choke alone is used if you want to insert a control voltage, 12 or 24 dc to power a tuner or such between the choke and ground. You can use a large resistor as well for lightning protection, but it will not protect the antenna tuner if used for control insertion.
Willis 'Cookie' Cooke,

*From:* Jonathan Guthrie via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
*To:* BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
*Cc:* Jonathan Guthrie <ka8...@ka8kpn.org>
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 24, 2016 12:29 PM
*Subject:* Re: [BVARC] Bleeding static from antennas (RF choke)

The idea is that the choke passes essentially no current at the frequency of operation, but is essentially a dead short at DC.

Unless I'm remembering the formula wrong, which is always a possibility, the choke has a reactance of about 28k ohms at 1.8 MHz, which means that it would have about 10 mA through it if you had it across a 50-ohm feedline being driven at 1500W. I'm pretty sure that would work without letting the smoke out. Since that's the most difficult case (higher frequencies have more reactance and, hence, less current) it should work on most any band. Up until you hit the resonant frequency of the choke, anyway.

Another technique you can use is to put a large resistor across the feedline. Since you're only trying to prevent tiny amounts of charge from accumulating, that should work, too. 300K or larger should be able to dissipate the power from a legal-limit signal. Unless I did the calculation wrong.