Points well-made, and yes, especially since you say you're dealing with a
voltage-controlled oscillator (which is necessarily hyper-sensitive/reactive to
measurement taps taken off the circuit).

I know I can make use of the high-Z function on my DMMs for higher-freq stuff,
but I don't know the practical limit of such offhand.

I would think your workaround (or any sort of bridge) would do the job even if
the built-in high-Z function wouldn't, and could easily be tuned to whatever
frequency is of interest with a little math and an assortment of pico-caps.

That's one mean bench meter you've got.  I like!

73

Sent from my iPhone