From: Gayle Dotts via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: Gayle Dotts <gayle.do...@gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, Jan 16, 2017 7:53 am
Subject: [BVARC] Lightning Strike

I’ve got a beach house in Gulf Shores Alabama.  Last week it had a direct hit
to the house by lightning, tookout the refrigerator, 4 tv’s, phones, 4
surveillance cameras and muchmore.  Luckily It had no radio gear orantennas
there…which brings me to here…

My NOW attempt to layer my radio shack for protection againstlightning.  Like
unplug radio, power andcables, ground radio chassis.  I’ve have heardan antenna
doesn’t  get hit as such untilyou ground it at which time it becomes a
lightning rod and as such now attractslightning, so don’t worry about the tower
as much as the lines coming in.  Is this correct?  Sorry for being so
chit-chatty guys but thisis a real concern that got personal with the
lightning.  I don’t have much protection at all except a copperrod outside my
window with the radio chassis grounded there.  I guess I need to add more
protection.  I have watched you guys at field day just ground the line, I
thought, coming off the antenna in to the radio area, was there more I didn't
see?