Hello,

FYI, That fine looking receiver is an RBB, one of three in a series that
covered from approximately 10 kHz through just a little above the current
Citizen's Band, probably 27.5 MHz or so.

The RBA covered from approximately 10 kHz - 600 kHz.
The RBB covered from approximately 600 kHz - 4 mHz.
The RBC covered from approximately 4 MHz - 27.5+- mHz.

As I recall, each receiver covered it's tuning range in four bands.

I owned a RBA and still own a RBC. An article in either Electric Radio or
Antique Radio Classified said the RBC was the most expensive short-wave
receiver ever made up to that time. My RBC is dated 1943. I am dated 1942.
It's 1942 dollar cost was approximately $1600.00 in 1942 silver certificate
dollars.

The local oscillator in those super-heterodyne receivers actually transmitted
a small signal 455 kHz above or below the receive frequency ( I think 455 kHz
was the RBC i.f. freq ).

Because of this, the German and Japanese submarines could tune around for the
unwanted radiation from our receivers and direction-find the ship in question
whose receiver was radiating this un-wanted signal so it could be df-ed,
located and sank. They could also tell what frequency we were monitoring.

Part of the expense of the RBA - RBB - RBC receivers was the excellent
shielding that was used internally to reduce this type of radiation.

More photos please !!!!!!

73,

Sam Neal  N5AF