From:Mike Hardwick via BVARC
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 22:11
To:BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB
Cc:Mike Hardwick
Subject: [BVARC] General Meeting Program Information for Thursday, October 12,
2107

Sorry for the late notice but Hurricane Harvey is still affecting many club
members around Houston. I hope everyone will be able to attend the meeting for
these two interesting programs.

Program 1 – “The History of the Yagi-Uda Antenna Array”

The Radio Hotel will present "The History of the Yagi-Uda Antenna Array" in
slides and song.  A short eight minute Power Point 'show' highlighting the
invention, the inventors and the Radio Ham's practical implementation and
refinement of this mid-1920's antenna discovery.

If you saw "Here Comes the Sun" a few years back, then you will not want to
miss this new fun and informative short from the Smoking Crow Productions
studio.

Hope to see you at the meeting.
Rick Hiller, W5RH

Program 2 – “Introduction to surface mount assembly”

Bali Educational Programs will have general discussions surface mount assembly.
The program will start with an explanation of why surface mount assembly is
easier and faster than through-hole assembly. Even though there not be any
surface mount soldering, the program will have description of the process and
techniques with boards that were assembled. Descriptions will be discussed on
what can be done differently when designing and building with surface mount
components. The program will cover resources for designing boards and getting
them fabricated cheaply.

Some of the points that will be covered are

-         Sample boards
-    Equipment recommendations
-    Soldering and de-soldering techniques
-    Design recommendations for specific components
-    Board design resources

If there is enough interest, a program will be held in the near future covering
the following:

Controllers, program and designs from a low level for PIC and Atmel to Arduino
to Raspberry Pi using modules and code libraries and other Linux options.
Information will also be present on
highly-integrated system-on-chip modules like ESP8266 and ESP32. Information
will be presented on various inputs and outputs like sensors, relays, MOSFETs,
stepper and servo motors, etc.

Love to have you at the presentation,
Donovan Bali, KG5BDZ

I hope everyone can make it to the meeting. Both Donovan and Rick have really
worked getting information together for their programs.
Hope you can make it to the meeting.

Mike
XN5VCD

Message delivered to