I don't believe there is a significant difference in UV radiation between 100,000 feet or so and the ground.  Plastics at ground level that are intended to be exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time routinely have UV protection added to them.

On 3/22/19 9:56 AM, NIzar Mullani via BVARC wrote:

Ravi,

Glad you mentioned UV radiation as a heating source. I had not thought about this before. As we get into rarefied air, the very short wavelength UV light in the 200 to 300 nm range could also become very damaging to the superficial layers of material.

I wonder if anyone has looked into how this extra short UV radiation effects balloon materials, and, whether it plays a role in the longevity of balloon material!

Nizar

*From:*BVARC [mailto:bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org] *On Behalf Of *Ravi Patrick Ratnala via BVARC
*Sent:* Thursday, March 21, 2019 5:11 PM
*To:* BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB
*Cc:* Ravi Patrick Ratnala; the-woodlands-amateur-radio-c...@googlegroups.com; w5...@w5sfa.org; patrick.k...@aviatnet.com; john Parmalee; richard_g_nel...@fpl.com; n...@mailman.qth.net *Subject:* Re: [BVARC] Especially for those that won’t be able to make it to the Houston  HamFest this weekend . PLEASE REPOST

Sounds like y'all are talking about moving through the tropopause; from the troposphere, and upward through the stratosphere. Temperature decreases (generally) with altitude in the troposphere, because this region is ruled by thermal heating of the ground (and associated boundary layer), convection, and adibatic expansion.  Once you get into the stratosphere, temperature increases with altitude due to heating by UV radiation.  (Obviously this is a short form description.)

73, Ravi