An article about the telescope I helped with:

http://www.w1ghz.org/bigear/bigear.html

I did some of the demolition of the original feed house so they could build the feed trolley.

On 11/19/2020 4:07 PM, KJ Anderson via BVARC wrote:

For it to have gotten to this point, where the main support cables are systematically failing, it’s clear they gave up on it a long time ago.  Hard to see this thing be actively abandoned.  “We’re going to ask you to keep working, but we’re not going to pay for the upkeep.”

*-------------------------------------------------*

*KJ Anderson*

253-380-2636

www.linkedin.com/in/scrumnerd <http://www.linkedin.com/in/scrumnerd>

*From:* BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> *On Behalf Of *Jonathan Guthrie via BVARC
*Sent:* Thursday, November 19, 2020 4:03 PM
*To:* mark janzer via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
*Cc:* Jonathan Guthrie <ka8...@ka8kpn.org>
*Subject:* Re: [BVARC] Arecibo telescope to bite the dust....

There's a lot of that going around.  The radio telescope I worked with in the 1980's is already a golf course.

On 11/19/2020 3:59 PM, mark janzer via BVARC wrote:

    Don't tell Joe Taylor (K1JT)

    Famed Arecibo telescope, on the brink of collapse, will be
    dismantled

<https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/11/famed-arecibo-telescope-brink-collapse-will-be-dismantled>

        Famed Arecibo telescope, on the brink of collapse, will be
        dismantled

    National Science Foundation decides to decommission iconic radio
    observatory

    73

    Mark

    K5MGJ