I had a typo below.  1$ for every 100$.  my insurance is 56$ for 5600$

    On Friday, October 8, 2021, 03:56:18 PM CDT, terry leatherland via BVARC
<bvarc@bvarc.org> wrote:

 Some of you have been following my blurbs on my FT991 trials with losing
computer control.Being a computer guy I have been chasing the computer end of
things for over a month since I did in fact Update my operating system about
the same time as the September 6 Lightning storms.
Well, as a goose chase would ensue, it turns out that today Yaesu  technical
support has verified that my microprocessor is now faulty for the bits that
control the CAT control. The tech rep said that was major problem and a 600$
board + labor to repair.
It is also good to note that I had recently installed lots of lightning
arresting solutions, and I still got zapped.
Fortunately for me, I have been a ARRL insurance payee for many years. Now I am
entering a claim for the radio, and things appear to be promising.So now I
think I'll upgrade a bit with the claim and some of my own money.I say all this
to let the newcomers know that the 1$ for every 10$ of equipment value ARRL
charges is a GREAT deal. You should do it.This is only the 2nd time in my 40
years of HAM to have a problem. The 1st being when punks bashed my car window
right out in front of my house and stole my remote control head for the radio
under the seat. The bad part was neither they nor I had a workable system
afterwards.  :-(
73s and I'll talk Hf on the other side of this thing.
Terry  - Pretty Good Fella.

Terry Leatherland, K5PGF281-455-8090Sugar Land, Tx