Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions. This was really educational.
I believe we will head for Hallettsville, though I am not sure where exactly I
should be once I get there.

I remember seeing the Milky Way in Barbados when I was about 10. It was like a
ring sun running east to west over the equator. Even with no moon it was bright
enough to light up the beach enough to see where you were going.

Thanks,

Mark
N5PRD