While we are talking about inductors, I have a question.  I want to build a
trap for 40 meters.  This trap will be on the top of my 20-meter vertical
leading to a top hat that will extend the vertical with another set of radials
to 40 meters.  I know it in a coincidence of the inductive Xl and the inter
winding Xc that brings resonance.  How do you test for it?  When I wound 28
turns of #14 THHN on a 1.5" pvc form thinking this would be a trap somewhere
and I could trim accordingly. I get these results:

At 34 mHz I get a dip to Xs of 200 Ohms on my 269 analyzers in the main or vswr
/ Xs mode.

Using the inductance mode at 43 mHz I get a dip of almost no L.

I tried the sniffer as a grid dipper and found no dip

Reading the 529 manual I found the advanced mode, Page 16. Hold down the mode
and gate button and select advanced one and then step mode to resonance.

What I get is like a low pass filter with a shelf at 21 mHz. Not a resonance

My Measurements Lab (Millen) Grid Dipper shows a dip at 45 mHz or so.

I think I will believe the Millen.  The real find was the advanced functions on
the 529.  Some pretty neat features.

I think I need more turns.  I think I will try maybe 50 turns of enamel on a
2.5” form and trim it back.  I also expect the Xl &Xc will affect the antenna
lengths.

Any thoughts?

Another Question, has anyone tried Flex Seal to waterproof a coax connection?
Maybe a layer of tape then spray.

John ParmaleeJparmalee@aol.com281-380-3811 K5VGM WI2XLJIn a message dated