I have been shopping at the Micro Center since 1983.  I used to buy stuff at the since closed original store at the Lane Avenue Shopping Center in Upper Arlington, Ohio.  Man that takes me back.  I bought my first 1200 BPS modem for $100 when they were going for $400-$500 normally.  The Westerville store had a pile of them by the door and it was some off brand you've never heard of, but it did Bell-212 and it worked until I upgraded to 2400 BPS a few years later.

So, yeah, the Micro Center has been doing stuff like this for decades, but as you point out, the value is not necessarily hugely better than a normal discount deal.

As I said in a previous message, the reason I'm not pursuing this deal is that people tend to give me their old laptops, and I tend to use them until the cases fall off.  Besides, I just bought a refurbed mini desktop as a shack computer.