For Dstar, that’s a real issue, for using a repeater in our area here.

The last dedicated Dstar repeater in the Houston area was removed a couple
years ago.

There is however a few Multimode repeaters in the area, that support DMR,
Dstar, and Fusion, but the coverage is very limited at this time, while waiting
for a taller site to be relocated to.

There is one today in SW Houston on 145.47, but we are seeing some receive
sensitivity issues, and soon to replace the duplexers, but if your close enough
to the repeater it works on all of these modes. Unfortunately, the Internet
link is currently disconnected, so it’s not linked to anything at this time,
but still usable locally.

There are multiple Fusion repeaters in the Kingwood area, but also not linked
to the internet environment.

There is another Fusion repeater on the West side of town, I believe in the
Katy area if I have that right. I believe linked to WiresX.

There are dozens of DMR repeaters all over the Houston and Gulf Coast area.

But even if you can’t access a local repeater just yet, you can always get a
tiny hotspot, to connect to your home network, and support all of the popular
digital formats which will allow you to use the digital features of your radio.
Including cross mode capabilities, such as going in Fusion, and coming out DMR,
or DSTAR in and Fusion out, etc.. Prices are as variable as the features of
course. From under $50.00 to $400.00 and more.

Hope this helps understand more about this than adding confusion to the
question. 😊   But feel free to ping me if I can add more detail for you.

Walter/K5WH