From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> On Behalf Of K5BOU via BVARC
Sent: Wednesday, April 3, 2024 9:11 PM
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: K5BOU <phili...@k5bou.net>; John Denison <kd5...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [BVARC] APRS Question.

Make sense. Thanks.
[cid:image001.png@01DA8669.0F1F2B80]
K5BOU-PhilippeBoucaumont
Houston|Texas|USA|
https://mccrarymeadowsweather.com/
[cid:image002.png@01DA8669.0F1F2B80][cid:image003.png@01DA8669.0F1F2B80][cid:image004.png@01DA8669.0F1F2B80]

On Apr 3, 2024, at 9:08 PM, John Denison via BVARC
<bvarc@bvarc.org<mailto:bvarc@bvarc.org>> wrote:

If you are using RF with APRS on 144.39 MHz, there is not blanket coverage
across the entire Greater Houston Area. I've noticed that sometimes my mobile
is heard and sometimes not. It just depends on where I am and whether the
igates or digis are up and running. I typically drive from 59 & Gessner to W.
Bellfort, and then across to 99 & W. Airport. I can usually be heard until I
reach 99 and Mason Road, but coverage is not reliable between that intersection
and Pecan Grove. I have my mobile set to 50 watts when using APRS.

It would help if you drove with a 50' mast on your car, but I would not
recommend it. 😉

73
John Denison
KD5YOU