https://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-saves-family-in-death-valley-national-park

As someone who off-roads in some these remote areas out west this is a
terrifying and heartwarming story out of Death Valley NP. It's one major
reason we carry HF in our rigs and always develop a PACE plan prior to any
trip. Anecdotally here's what ours usually consists of.

Primary: Cell Phone - no service is common when you get off the beaten path
but cell phones are by in large reliable.

Alternate: Satellite Phone - a great reliable backup but I have had both
Inmarsat and Iridium both fail on me before.

Contingency: HF radio - we use this for truck to truck to camp comms but
never needed it in an emergency. Glad to have it though.

Emergency: SoS beacon - expensive and thankfully I've never had to use it
beyond testing prior to deploying in the field.

Regards,
David Lira K5DBL