ARRL Learning Center Features Two New Emergency Communication Training
Courses
05/10/2024

ARRL has released two new courses
<https://learn.arrl.org/learning-paths/emergency-communications/> to train
emergency communications (EmComm) operators for volunteering within the Amateur
Radio Emergency Service® (ARES®) <https://www.arrl.org/ares>. Both courses
are within the ARRL Learning Center.

The Basic EmComm course is designed to get a new volunteer started. It
provides basic knowledge and tools for any emergency communications
volunteer and contains three modules and 11 topics, including required
prerequisites. It's expected to take approximately 10 - 20 hours to
complete.

The Intermediate EmComm course builds on the lessons learned in the first
course and equips volunteer radio amateurs with the tools needed to thrive
in the fast-paced environment of public service communications and to
understand the legal rights and responsibilities of working with a served
agency, as well as teach them and how ham radio fits into the broader
incident command (IC) structure.

The new courses replace the previous EC-001 and EC-016 programs, however,
certificates of completion earned for the previous courses are still valid.
"Training is not a one-and-done thing. Throughout my firefighting and
emergency management career, we were constantly taking new courses to
reinforce existing knowledge and introduce new concepts," said ARRL
Director of Emergency Management Josh Johnston, KE5MHV. "Engaged volunteers
should want to stay up to date on advances in the science of emergency
communications. I'd even encourage veteran operators to take the new
courses."

In 2023, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) revised the Guide
for National Emergency Preparedness
<https://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-included-in-fema-guide-for-national-emergency-preparedness>
to specifically include amateur radio. ARRL and FEMA entered into a new
Memoranda of Understanding in May 2023 that outlined the importance of
trained radio amateurs within the response ecosystem.

"Amateur radio is as important as ever in emergency management," said
Johnston. "The new courses will keep hams trained to serve effectively."

The ARRL Learning Center at learn.arrl.org is a member benefit and features
many ways to get the most out of your amateur radio license. The Basic and
Intermediate EmComm courses are available to anyone with a free www.arrl.org
account. Users must log in to the ARRL Learning Center with this account,
and functionality of the site relies on cookies being enabled.

--
Commander Richard Bonica
Mission Bend Emergency Team(MBET)