I found it.  I was using the Horde stuff, so their things worked fine in one
env, not in another! :)

Turns out that I moved c-client.a to /usr/local/lib instead of coping and
renaming it as libc-client.a, bonehead mistake.

Why is it that PHP doesn't complain about building, and fail ideally, when
missing libraries problems exist?  I find that there are a lot of non-standard
issues in the build process of PHP which probaly lends to most of the confusion
when more than 4 things are compiled in.  For instance, MCAL support makes PHP
not even configure properly in static mode (MCAL is static, PHP is .so) because
the configure conftests put -lmcal everywhere, even where they are not needed,
and the callbacks are not implemented, causing configure to think that simple
things like getcwd doesn't exist.

Oh well, I found this! :)  Any chance someone ownes the build process for imap
and mcal that I can trade soe emails with.  It might ease the frustrations for
others.

Thanks,

--
-bk