Hi again,

found the problem(s) and thought that everybody would be interested
in the result and perhaps learn from it.

The problem was that IMP3.0 didn't show any messages, just said that there
were n messages, but no header info at all.

First a want to clear the makers of both IMAP and IMP from all
accusations (?), it was NOT their faults.

Checking the traffic between IMP and IMAPD  (ethereal is a very
good tool for this BTW) after putting in some debug statements in
the imapd mailbox driver showed that IMP3.0 was using a UID SORT
command and that IMAPD never answered this.
What took me some time to find out was that imapd actually crashed
and there was no traces of this.
Using imapd through gdb showed me that the culprit was the format
string of my debug statement trying to sprintf() an interger with a %s,
ehhhh.....
Fixing that I still got no headers, but now the traffic between IMP and IMAPD
looked sane, and was indeed reading the headers.

Mr. Michael stergaard Pedersen mailed me and told me that he had
seen the same problems with some versions of imapd and suggested
imapd-2000c.
As I have patched my imapd-4.7.2c to recognize MH-inboxes I didn't
really want to change that and though I would find out the reason instead.

I traced the problem down to a PHP-call to imap_fetch_overview, which really
did not return anything.

After a lot of tracing and filling up system logs I thought of one thing:
Versions.

Checking what version of mail.h and libc-client.a my PHP-4.1.2 compilation
used I found out that they were definitely not using the 4.7.2c version and
additionally
the version of the two files didn't even match....
Fixing that and recompiling PHP fixed the problem !

The moral of the story:
- Perhaps Mark could provide a "make install" that updates all the files in
the system:
  imapd, mail.h (or newer) and the library ? At least echo a reminder to make
sure
  that they match.
- When installing a new version of something ALWAYS make sure that there is
nothing
  old lying around (knew that ;-) )

Anyway IMP3.0 works fine now :-)))

BRGDS

--
Dag Nygren                               email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Oy Espoon NewTech Ab                     phone: +358 9 8024910