Mark,

        Many thanks for the information, and apologies for my confusing mail.
The mail is silently dropped.  I thought dmail was hanging from the way the log
just stopped part way through the attempt by dmail to deliver the mail and there
was no debug info about it cleaning up.  However there is no dmail process
running and the mailfile is left in an intact state.  Also subsequent writes
that don't take it over-quota are successful.  So it's a procmail problem,
thanks for the insight.
I take your point about quotas, but this really is the last line of defense for
some very uncooperative users.  Hopefully having lost mail and been
inconvenienced by this for several days might help him see the light.

Thanks again for your help

Season's greeting

John

John Landamore

School of Mathematics & Computer Science
University of Leicester
University Road, LEICESTER, LE1 7RH
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +44 (0)116 2523410       Fax: +44 (0)116 2523604