On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Jim Lawson wrote:
> We're attempting to replace our existing mail server here with a cluster
> of Linux nodes running sendmail/procmail/UW IMAPd.  The Linux nodes use
> are attached to shared storage (SAN) and using Sistina's GFS to manage
> the locking.

I have never seen any sort of network filesystem clustering work out well
for IMAP servers.  Nor have I seen network locking work out well.

mbx format is probably not your answer; it does shared write which is
almost certainly guaranteed to lose on a network filesystem.  Let's put it
this way; if your vendor says that it will work, make them put that claim
in writing before you do it.  You might get some free hardware out of them
before they throw in the towel.

In general, it works better to split the mail store across a set of
machines, each of which has direct access to its own piece of the mail
store.  At UW, we use the DNS to direct users to the right server;
mrc.deskmail.washington.edu is the IMAP server which has mrc's mail, the
machine may change as mrc gets moved about, but the name that mrc uses to
get to his mail is always the same.

Remember that IMAP servers are generally not CPU bound; they are I/O
bound.  Thus, fast access to the filesystem is more important than CPU
load balancing.  Our IMAP servers tend to have low load averages but very
high disk/network utilization.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.