On 10:52:25 am 07/07/04 "J. A. Landamore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd be interested in comments on/flaws in the following.
>
> We run a "warm standby" mailsystem, i.e. one that is fully configured
> and "ready to go" if the main hub fails.  The only thing is that the
> user mail files are always at least a day out of date, having been
> created from the previous days backup.  What problems am I likely to
> encounter if:
> I run rsync on the standby with the main hub as the source.  I then
> run mailutil check against the mail files on the standby and re-rsync
> any that don't check clean.
>
> We're talking 6GB+ of mail files, a large part of which don't change
> (e.g. a 30Mb mailbox which has only 1 or 2 messages added to it), so
> I'm trying to avoid doing a mailutil transfer which I believe will
> duplicate the whole tree.
> For info; all mail input is handled by postfix/dmail and all mail
> reading is via UW imap/pop and a c-client based webmailer (prayer
> from U. Cambridge)  Mail is held in mbx format files.

Our setup is slightly different but we have been using rsync to keep a
"warm standby" system current for a few months and it is working great. We
don't run an rsync server, just some scripts and cron jobs to fire off sync
jobs over ssh. We have been able to sync 18 gig of Maildir format boxes
every 5 minutes with the average sync time being 42 seconds. With that
rapid of a sync frequency you have to be careful that a job does not fire
off if the prior job has not finished or you can very easily DOS your
backup box (It happened to me early on in testing :)

Hope any of that helps.

\__ Jason Munro
 \__ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  \__ http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/