In a message dated 2004/10/28 12:44:49 Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> "Connection" refers to the entire sequence of client/server interaction  from
> the initial establishment of the network connection until its termination.
>
> Could I compare it with login complete?

That's like saying "can I compare a drive in my car to starting the
motor".
I agree the compassion is not appropriate. What I really want is to make sure that after log-ed in until logout, it is counted as in one connection.
If this is true, then after login until logout there can only be one mailbox being selected (one session there).

Regarding why thinking about keep multiple mailbox selected using c-client:

> If the IMAP client which uses c-client wants to show the list of  mails from
> all of the mailboxes after login complete,  then user could  select the mail
> interested, does it mean that there must be multiple  "connections" (multiple
> login's) in order to maintain multiple  mailboxes to be SELECT'ed, so that the
> data in c-client's cache could be used  later.

Only one mailbox is SELECTed at a time, and c-client only caches data from
the currently SELECTed mailbox.

You can have multiple MAILSTREAMs open, each with a separate mailbox
selected.  It is your choice whether you want to do that or to go through
each mailbox one-by-one.

"can have multiple MAILSTREAMs open, each with a separate mailbox selected", I believe you mean  the mail boxes for the MAILSTREAMs might be SELECT'ed before and not closed, but only one is SELECT'ed at the moment.

Also if the MAILSTREAM s1's mail box had been SELECT'ed before but now another mail box is SELECT'ed. Could we still call this MAILSTREAM s1 open until it is closed? Will the data downloaded into cache while it was open be still in the c-client cache, until s1 is closed even if other mail box is SELECT'ed now (i.e. can still use some of the mail_xxx() function against this stream s1, such as get msg number..)?

HOWEVER!!!!!

It is an exceedingly poor idea for a client to attempt to list messages
from all mailboxes.  The list of mailboxes may be extremely long with long
servers.  You will run out of memory and disk space on your client long
before you complete gathering the entire list.

It is also a misuse of IMAP.  The entire reason why IMAP has all these
features to collect individual data items is so the client can access data
on demand by the end user, and not have to download everything at
startup.
Totally agree your comment on thinking about the resource limitation issue.
I saw some of the commercial IMAP client(e.g. Communicator), one of basic feature is to list all of the mail entries (sender, subject, time) from different mailbox after log into the server. Then user could brows around, doing a quick local search to see if there is mail from someone or have certain subject, and then click on the interested mail from different mailboxes(I used to call it folders).
If the mailbox is not selected at clicking time then it will have to be re-selected  at the clicking time. From the nature of IMAP I guess your suggestion is to prefer to reselect than to keep multiple mailbox SELETC'ed in multiple connections.
But we still have problem if the client really want get the 10,000 mails to be listed in UI after login. It might take a while on dial up connection

Again, thanks for your response and it is really great help!