On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:31:25 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Mark Crispin <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:

MC> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
MC> > In theory I totally agree but in practice there is this broken server
MC> > which doesn't support any other way to login except by using USER but
still
MC> > doesn't advertise it. It's clearly is a bug in server implementation and
MC> > using USER is the only way to work around it.
MC>
MC> The server may not be broken.

 Unfortunately in this case it definitely is. It does not support neither
TLS nor SSL (again, I should have written it from the beginning, sorry for
omitting to say this).

MC> They may have an administrative policy that clients should use the SSL
MC> POP3 service (port 995) instead of unencrypted POP3 port 110; but for the
MC> benefit of old pre-SSL clients (which also would not use CAPA) it allows
MC> the USER/PASS commands.

 Ok, but if they [still] allow it, there mustn't be much harm in using it.
I would understand if they only allowed SSL logins perfectly well, but they
don't. In fact, they don't support them at all.

MC> Not at all.  Did you try the SSL POP3 service?

 Yes.

MC> > Speaking practically, what problems can I have if I still use USER even if
MC> > the server doesn't advertise it?
MC>
MC> Doing so violates the specifications, and may very well violate the
MC> intentions of the POP3 server administrator.

 Again, not in this case.

MC> Worse, you may find yourself accused of "behaving just like Microsoft" in
MC> violating specifications for convenience.  All too often the excuse of "a
MC> necessary workaround" has been offered as to why Outlook, etc. violates a
MC> specification.
MC>
MC> Still worse, if it's considered to be something that c-client does, I
MC> will be accused of "behaving just like Microsoft."  No thanks.  :-)

 I understand your point of view but you should realize, of course, that I
am going to patch my c-client version (once again) because I can't tell the
user with a straight face that I am not going to fix it when it's a whole
of one line fix. So it's just going to be one more patch in my version of
c-client and one more reason I can't use "official" (although at least in
Debian case there are quite a few patches in it too) version of the library
packaged by Debian, RedHat and so on. Not a big deal for me as there are
other issues which are much more important for me which I had to patch in
my version but I still can't prevent myself from thinking that all this is
a big waste of effort and that having at least an option in c-client to
enable the behaviour which makes sense to the users couldn't really be such
a bad thing.

 Regards,
VZ