I'm trying to build up a Horde/IMP installation secured by using SSL certificates on both sides (server and client). I have no trouble using the client cert to authenticate to Horde, and I have no trouble using the client cert to authenticate _directly_ to Cyrus IMAP (which is obviously my IMAP backend). I'm running all this on Linux, using OpenSSL, and the IMAP toolkit was built using "make slx" with SSLTYPE set to unix.nopwd.

What I cannot do (yet) is get IMP to pass the certificate it received from Apache along as part of the TLS negotiation when it tries to connect to the IMAP server. IMP uses the PHP imap extension, which in turn uses c-client (and yes, I'm running the latest c-client and PHP).

The documentation on c-client is sparse... but I do see a mail_parameter setting for SSLCERTIFICATEQUERY. I cannot find any docs or examples that would show me what this is for, though, so I figured I'd ask here.

Is there any way currently to get c-client to accept a client certificate (PEM-encoded string representation) and pass it along when OpenSSL asks for it during the TLS negotiation?