If I understand you correctly, what I described is not in fact exactly
what you do.  It sounds like rather than the invalid serialization that
I asked about, your document is being serialized correctly.

Invalid:

  <editnumber formula="<data>.//activity/@status</data>"/>

Valid:

  <editnumber formula="&lt;data>.//activity/@status&lt;/data>"/>

If this is true, the problem is in the parsing as you suggest.  I think
a test case is needed.  I'd recommend attaching an example of a
problematic document that cannot be processed by one of the sample
applications (like DOMParse). 

-----Original Message-----
From: Leif Goodwin [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:31 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: How to have an attribute which contains XML


Yes, that is exactly what we do. I use the setAttribute method on
DOMElement
instance passing name as "formula" and value as
"<data>.//activity/@status</data>". Then I serialise the DOMDocument to
a
string. When I examine the string, I see that Xerces has replaced each
'<'
with "&lt;" which is correct. But it leaves each '>' as is. Then when I
try
to serialise the string into a DOM document, the result is nonsense, as
I
think the '>' characters are interpreted as close element markers. I
tried
replacing each '>' with "&gt;" in the string before passing it to
setAttribute, but that did not work, as it replces the '&' with "&amp;".

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to