Cantor, Scott <canto...@osu.edu> writes:

> On 12/20/19, 4:21 AM, "Boris Kolpackov" <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't checking out corresponding tags from Git and SVN and then
> > running diff on the directories (ignoring .git/ and .svn/) be
> > sufficient?
>
> Yes, either way.

Ok, I went through this exercise for trunk as well as the 3.2.2,
3.1.4, 3.0.1, and 2.8.0 tags. There are two classes of differences:

1. Empty directories (created by SVN, ignored by Git).

   I think this is an improvement.

2. $Id$ expansion.

   There is a way to get a similar behavior (but not the same) with
   Git but that would require committing .gitattributes into every
   branch/tag.

   Also, the consensus seems to be that this is a bad idea (Linus
   calls it "totally idiotic" ;-)).

   So my preference would be to leave things as is (i.e., no
   expansion) and maybe clean $Id$ strings out later (we also
   have a few "CVS $Revision$ $Date$" anachronisms).

   For quick background on this (as well as what "not the same" above
   exactly means), see:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/384108/moving-from-cvs-to-git-id-equivalent

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1792838/how-do-i-enable-the-ident-string-for-a-git-repository

Other than that, the copies are identical.