>> I want to understand why someone in my ISP configured the
>> firewall to block ICMP.

> ISPs will block incoming ICMP packets to help hide the existence of
> their customers.  It is a user-friendly feature!

  Every time I send an e-mail, the receiver knows my IP.
  Every time I visit some webpage, its webmaster knows my IP.
  Every time I direct connect to some other IP (P2P), the other guy knows my IP.

  So what is the advantage of blocking ICMP?

  If some user want that his OS do not answer ping he should configure its
firewall. But even this will not prevent legitimate types of flooding.

  I know that some sysadmins are bad intentioned, but some people want to
legitimate use the blocked connections.

  If I'ld be a lawmaker I'ld try to pass a law that would force the
sysadmin/owner relation to be contracted on paper, so to leave unrequested open
ports or to install FAT32 would be inexcusable.

  To block at the ISP level is to mix legitimate and mis use.

--
  Never ask your ISP if they use some kind of firewall: You may be giving them
this bad idea.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: