A logger class is only needed when there is something to log in the
class. So let's imagine you need to add a log statement in a class which
does have logging : you simply add the logger instance variable (as
defined in the code conventions) and then use it.

> or better yet a log() method that you could simply
> call from any class?

Nah, why reinvent the wheel ! :-). Then you'll want to add severities
for logging like info, debug, error, warning, etc (which we already use
BTW). Also (and that's even more important), you would need to pass the
logging category (the fully qualified class name) to *each* log() call.

> I also wanted to refactor the logging aspect, but I got stuck trying
> test
> my changes.

Be my guest here ... :) But be warned that you end up spending quite
some amount of time (especially if you're new to AspectJ as I am ...).
In other words, I spent several days to get the config there is working
but I am also 100% sure it can be optimized ... :-)

> Re: the subject line. I meant:
> >>RE: Adding Authentication To Cactus
>
> was a mistake (on my part), not a bug.

Oh ok.