[snip]
> Why don't you simply fill the database with the right values?
> No need for
> any hibernate mapping for this! It can be done in several
> ways, with a SQL
> script, by saving a database dump and reloading it, etc.
[snip]

May I also suggest using dbunit[1]?  We have been using this successfully in
our environment to setup a fixture and restore a DB to a known state.  If
you use it with an in-memory DB you can get pretty good performance.  You
just want to only do these tests nightly.  Then mock out your DB and run the
"logic" tests using mocks.  Remember that developers are lazy, so if your
tests take to long to run, then no one will use them.

[1] www.dbunit.org

Aaron Korver