It's generally not a good idea to have classes on several places in the
classloader hierachy. For example if the cactus jar is loaded from the
appserver classloader and one of its dependencies are in the war only you could
get this error.

That said, if you have all jars and dependencies in the lowest classloader it
shouldn't be a problem.

I would test to have the cactus jar and dependencies in the war only and remove
it from all other locations.

/Magnus