Hi David,

it is a version control system called Subversion.
For check out type this in a terminal:

svn co
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/cactus/branches/CACTUS_TRUNK_MAMOUTH/

More about Subversion you can learn from this book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

If you have any other questions please, don't hesitate to ping me :-)