"If I'm not mistaking, that would make Docky win again" Maybe. Maybe
not.  The point here is that they are both contending to set that
geometry, so if Docky starts updating more frequently then you'll
probably see much more non-deterministic behavior.  They will fight even
more!

"can anything be done to actually change the Desktop Environment, so
that more than just one location on the screen can be the icon region
for a window?" This is actually part of the WM standard, changing this
is a lot more involved than you probably realize.

"why can't we simply have an option to have an animation's start/end
point move to the cursor for minimizing/restoring, just like we have it
for open/close?" You can, just ask Compiz for that feature.  The
animations are drawn by Compiz.  However I make no promise that they
would implement that.  Personally, I think that is a bad solution and I
wouldn't implement it.

There is one option you seem to be missing: stop using Unity.  Switch
over to something else, like XFCE.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Cairo-
Dock Team, which is subscribed to Cairo-Dock Project.

Title:
  Unity Launcher steals minimize app animation end point from other
  docks

Status in Avant Window Navigator:
  New
Status in Cairo-Dock : Core:
  New
Status in Docky:
  Invalid
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  If I use a dock app other than Unity Launcher (e.g. Docky, AWN, Cairo
  Dock, Plank etc.) and use an animation for minimizing my open windows
  (for example, 'Magic Lamp'), the animation should be ending on my dock
  app's icon for that window. However, more often than not, Unity's
  Launcher steals that end point, so on minimizing the animation's end
  point goes to the Launcher instead on the other dock app as it should.
  Same thing with the start point for the restore animation. This is
  most frustrating for me, it looks disgusting.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: unity 5.16.0-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-18-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu15
  Architecture: amd64
  CompizPlugins:
[core,composite,opengl,decor,move,snap,grid,vpswitch,compiztoolbox,commands,regex,winrules,imgpng,animation,mousepoll,resize,place,gnomecompat,unitymtgrabhandles,wall,workarounds,mag,expo,fade,session,scale,ezoom,unityshell,dbus]